by Derek Henry
(NaturalNews) Nearly everyone has been touched by cancer in some way or another. Cancer patients are struggling with traditional therapies, and many are looking to alternative ways in order to reverse their diagnosis. Look no further than these two powerful rainforest herbs that can stimulate the proper systems to help give cancer a knock-out punch.
Cat’s claw (also known as una de gato) is a large woody vine that grows in the Amazon rainforest that derives its name from hook-like thorns that grow along the vine and resemble the claws of a cat.
Cat’s claw has been used in Peru and Europe as early as the 1990s as an adjunctive treatment for cancer, as well as for other diseases that target the immune system. It has several groups of plant chemicals that account for its action, the most studied group being oxidole alkaloids, which have been documented to have immune-stimulant and anti-leukemic properties.
Research and studies on cat’s claw that document its positive effect against cancer includes:
• Italian researchers reported in a 2001 in vitro study that cat’s claw directly inhibited the growth of a human breast cancer cell line by 90%.
• Swedish researchers documented that it inhibited the growth of lymphoma and leukemia cells in vitro in 1998.
• Reports on Keplinger’s observatory trials showed that cancer patients taking cat’s claw in conjunction with traditional therapies, such as chemotherapy and radiation, reported fewer side effects like hair loss, weight loss, nausea and secondary infections.
• Subsequent researchers have shown that cat’s claw can aid in DNA cellular repair and prevent cells from mutating, and can also help prevent loss of white blood cells and immune cell damage caused by many chemotherapy drugs.
Cat’s claw has also been shown to kill viruses, fight free radicals and reduce inflammation.
Graviola is a small, upright evergreen tree about 5-6 meters high with large, glossy, dark green leaves.
A novel set of chemicals called Annonaceous acetogenins, found in the leaf, stem, bark and fruit seeds, have been confirmed by three separate research groups to have significant anti-tumorous properties and selective toxicity against various types of cancer cells (without harming healthy cells), at very low doses.
Research and studies on graviola that document its positive effect against cancer includes:
• In 1997, Purdue University published information which found that this novel set of chemicals in graviola not only are effective in killing tumors that have proven resistant to anti-cancer agents but also seem to have an affinity for such resistant cells. This means that those cells with multi-drug resistance (MDR) can effectively be killed by acetogenins, with reports that they preferentially destroyed MDR cells by blocking the transfer of ATP — the chief source of cellular energy — into them.
• In a 1976 plant-screening program by the National Cancer Institute, graviola leaves and stems showed toxicity against cancer cells, and specific acetogenins have been reported to be selectively toxic in vitro to the following types of tumor cells: lung carcinoma, human breast, prostate adenocarcinoma, pancreatic carcinoma, colon adenocarcinoma, liver cancer cell lines, human lymphoma and MDR human breast adenocarcinoma.
• Researchers in Taiwan reported in 2003 that the main graviola acetogenin, annonacin, was highly toxic to ovarian, cervical, breast, bladder, and skin cancer at very low dosages.
Graviola has also been known to kill bacteria, parasites and viruses as well as stimulate digestion and relieve depression.
Sources for this article include:
Taylor, Leslie, ND. The Healing Power of Rainforest Herbs: A Guide to Understanding and Using Herbal Medicinals. Garden City Park, NY: Square One, 2005. Print.
About the author:
Derek Henry, B.Kin, is a highly revered holistic health coach and world renowned natural health blogger who created Healing the Body to help people understand the fundamental principles to exceptional health so they can overcome their own health challenges.
His popular Wellness Transformation E-Guide and Ultimate Reset coaching program gives people step by step solutions to achieve a healthier body and mind, while empowering them to maintain that lifestyle through a fundamental education based on the 4 pillars of true health.
If you would like to learn more about what he can do holistically to improve your health, check out his popular free health consult.