I have been trying to progress spiritually in the past year. Im confused, I don’t know how to priorities my ibadah.
Example: do I read Awwabeen or read Surah Sajdah/Surah Mulk.
I don’t know what to focus on, what will help me attain closeness to Allah Quickest.
Please can sheikh advise me on a routine.
In the Name of Allah, the Most Gracious, the Most Merciful.
As-salāmu ‘alaykum wa-rahmatullāhi wa-barakātuh.
The desire to spiritually progress is tawfeeq from Allah to draw you closer to Him. Capitalize on that feeling while it is still fresh. A desire to good is an honourable but sensitive guest from Allah. Welcome it and treat it with the honour it deserves or else the feeling will fade away without getting that tawfeeq in the future.
If you are facing difficulty in spiritual progress by yourself, seek the assistance of a spiritual guide (sheikh) to guide you. You will be easily propelled to greater heights of spirituality.
The following are some guidelines on choosing an appropriate guide (sheikh)): 
- He should have sufficient knowledge of Deen.
- His beliefs, practices and habits should confirm to the teachings of Shariah.
- He does not have greed for worldly things.
- He himself had been tutored by a spiritual guide.
- The Ulamaa and the pious have confidence in him.
- People with good foresight and good understanding of Deen follow him.
- The majority of his followers are pious and renounce worldly gains.
- He corrects his followers and stops them when they do wrong.
- A few days in his company removes the love of the world and brings into a person the love of Allah.
10. He himself is conscious of Allah and abides by the laws of Shariah.
While you identify a suitable spiritual guide, in the meanwhile be steadfast on your faraid (obligatory) prayers and take out some time to do the following:
Read Surah Yaseen in the beginning of the day and Surah Tabarak and Waaqiah before you go to bed. Also takeout fifteen minutes in the morning and evening to do the three tasbeehat which is:
- The third kalimah hundred times.
- Durood shareef hundred times.
- Istigfar hundred times.
Do these tasbeehat with full concentration and love for Allah.
And Allah Ta’āla Knows Best
Student Darul Iftaa
Checked and Approved by,
Mufti Ebrahim Desai.