Allah Ta’ala has blessed many of us with the immense bounty of wealth. This wealth is from Allah who is the Ultimate Director and Financial Overseer of our businesses and shops. It is with the Sole Permission of the True and only One Owner of a company that we are employed. It is also with His Direct Instructions that we are able to not only to have sufficient means to fill our bellies but even to have spare wealth. This article intends to guide us as to how to utilise of that spare wealth.
By nature, people, and especially Muslims are morally inclined to repay favours. There are favours done to us by an array of people. Parents do us a favour when they tend to us after we become Baaligh. It is not their responsibility to leave behind an estate or a business or a house etc. It is not their duty to get us educated and it is not obligatory upon them to support us if we are able to do so ourselves.
Similarly, we have brothers and sisters, uncles and aunts, other family and friends who in some way or the other benefitted us. In the Spiritual realm, we have Nabi Sallallahu alayhi wasalllam and other Ambiya whom we owe a huge debt to and whom our Imaan taught us to love. There are the Sahaabah Radiallahu anhum who benefitted us by their firm Imaan and immense sacrifices to propagate Islam. Today, Alhamdulillah, despite all our sins, we hold high our heads as Muslims with a distinct culture which embraces both physical and spiritual purity of the highest order.
Qurbani for oneself is Waajib. However, if one has the wealth, a person should not forget those who have left the Dunya and who are constantly awaiting gifts of Thawaab from their relatives and students etc. How happy do they not get when the Thawaab is honourably forwarded to them! How do they not treasure such a priceless gift! In Hadith it is mentioned that the deceased is more desperate for Thawaa than a drowning man for assistance. Truly forwarding Thawaab to the deceasedcan only be done by those who are loyal and who had true love for the deceased one’s.
Besides our relatives etc, there are many other personalities who we owe gratitude to for our spiritual Ni’mats of Imaan etc. and our physical well-being. Hereby follows a list of people who we can make Qurbani of a cow (seven shares) on behalf of:
1) The Ambiya: (1) Nabi Salallahu alayhi wasallam, (2) Hadhrat Ebrahim alyhis salaam, (3) Hadhrat Moosa alayhi salaam, (4) Hadhrat Eesa alayhi salaam, (5) Hadhrat Nuh alayhi salaam, (6) Hadhrat Aadam alayhi salaam, (7) Hadhrat Ismail alayhi salaam.
2) The Sahaabah Radiallahu anhum: Nabi Salallahu alayhi wasallam, (1) Hadhrat Abu Bakr Radiallahu anhu, (2) Hadhrat Umar Radiallahu anhu, (3) Hadhrat Uthmaan Radiallahu anhu, (4)Hahdhrat Ali Radiallahu anhu, Hadhrat (5) Khalid bin Walid Radiallahu anhu, (6) Hadrat Bilal Radiallahu anhu
3) The Noble family of Nabi Salallahu alayhi wasallam: Nabi Salallahu alayhi wasallam, (1) Hadhrat Fatima Radialahu anha, (2) Hadhrat Hasan Radiallahu anhu, (3) Hadhrat Husain Radiallahu anhu, (4) Hadhrat Umme Kulthum Radiallahu anhu (5) Hadhrat Ruqaya Radiallahu anha, (6) Hadhrat Zainab Radiallhu anha
4) Noble family of Nabi Salallahu alayhi wasallam: Nabi Salallahu alayhi wasallam, (1) Hadhrat Khadija Radiallahu anha (2) Hadhrat A’ayesha Radiallah anha, (3) Hadhrat Maymoonah Radiallahu anah (4) Hadhrat Safiyyah Radillahu anha (5) Hadhrat Juwayriyyah Radillahu anha (6) HadhratZaynab Radiallahu anha
5) The Noble family of Nabi Salallahu alayhi wasallam: Nabi Salallahu alayhi wasallam (1) Umm Salamah Radiallahu anha (2) Hadhrat Zaynab bint Khuzaymah Radiallahu anha (3) Hafsah (Radiallahu anah (4) Hadhrat Sawdah Radiallahu anha (5) Hadhrat Aqeel Radiallahu anha (6) Hadhrat Ja’far Radiallahu anha
6) The Noble family of Nabi Salallahu alayhi wasallam: Nabi Salallahu alayhi wasallam and others: Nabi Salallahu alayhi wasallam (2) Hadhrat Qaasim Radialahu anhu (3) Hadhrat Abdullaah Radillahu anha (also called At-Taahir and At-Tayyib) (4) Hadhrat Ibraaheem Radiallahu anhu (5) Hadhrat Usama bin Ziad Radillahu anhu (6) Hadhrat Umme-Ayman Radiallhu anha
7) The Fuqaha (Rahmatullahi alayh): Nabi Salallahu alayhi wsalaam, Imaam Abu Hanifa Rahmatullahi alayh, Imaam Shafi’I Rahmatullahi alayh, Imaam Malik Rahmatullahi alayh, Imaam Ahmed bin Hambal Rahmatullahi alayh, Mufti Mahmood Rahmatullahi alayh, Mufti Abur –raheem Rahmatullahi alayh, (Author of Fatawa Rahimiyah)
8) The Auliya (Rahmatullahi alayh): Nabi Salallahu alayhi wasallam, (1) Hadhrat Khwajja Mu’eenuddeen Chishti Rahmatullahi alayh, (2) Hadhrat Sheikh Abdul Qadir Jeelani Rahmatullahi alayh, (3) Hadhrat Baha-ud-Din Naqshband Rahamtuallahi alayh (4) Hadhrat Diyaa-un-Deen Abu Najib Suhrawardi Rahmatullahi alayh Suhrawardi (5) Hadhrat Moulana Yusuf Binnori Rahmatullahi (6) Imaam Ghazali Rahmatullahi alyh
9) The Aakaberien (Rahamtullahi alayh) : Nabi Salallahu alayhi wasallam, (1) Moulana Thanvi Rahmatullahi alayh, (2) Moulana Qasim Rahmatullahi alayh, (3) Moulana Rasheed Ahmed Rahmatullahi alayh, (4) Hajee Imdadullah Rahmatuulahi alayh, (5) Moulana Maseehullah Rahmatuallahi alayh, (6) Hadhrat Sheikh Zakariyah Rahatullahi alayh,
10) Ustaads (Rahmaullahi alayh) : Nabi Salallahu alayhi wasallam and any six names
11) Living Family: Nabi Salallahu alayhi wasallam and any six names
12) Deceased family: Nabi Salallahu alayhi wasallam and any six names
13) Friends: Nabi Salallahu alayhi wasallama and any six names
Let’s reflect: How much money do we not spend on chocolates and sweets etc. a year? How much money do we not spend on beautifying our cars and our homes a year? How much money do we not spend on clothing a year? Imagine the joy of the deceased and their Du’aas when we spend a mere R1170/ for a Qurbani cow. (R170 @ 7 SHARES). For the above 12 categories of Ambiya and sainltly personalities and friends and family it would cost us a total of R14 040 for 84 shares. Much Thawaab could be accrued and so many Marhooms made happy.
Sayyidatuna Aa’ishah (Radiyallahu Anha) narrates that Rasulullah (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) said: “There is nothing dearer to Allah Ta’ala during the days of Qurbani than sacrificing of animals. The sacrificed animal shall come on the Day of Judgment with its horns, hair, and hooves (to be weighed). The sacrifice is accepted by Allah before the blood reaches the ground. Therefore sacrifice with an open and happy heart.” (Tirmizi, Hadith #: 1493)
And then there is the added Thawaab of the truly poor eating eat. Many overseas localities are as such that they only eat meat at the time of Qurbani. In the surroundings of Goa in India there are the descendants of African slaves of Portuguese owners. They are Muslims but are so poor that they do not see meat except at the time of Qurbani. Here a share is R250/ and a cow/buffalo is R1750/.
We suggest that one makes QurbanI at home and some Qurbani for local poor people and the balance could be forwarded for the benefit of overseas Muslims.
We are prepared to assist anyone who wishes to make Qurbani overseas. Please contact Moulana Ferhaan on 082 848 6868, Basheer Bhai on 084 7199980 or brother Mohamed Bulbulia on 082 489 3939.
Kindly forward the amount of shares and your name to them. It is sufficient that you make your own intention.
Fax: 086 260 3071
Our account details are as follows:
Branch code: 01-45-37
Account name: MADRASSAH ASHRAFUL ULOOM
Account no: 302 217 401
Kindly note that no part of the money forwarded is used for any administration purposes etc. Due to the fluctuation of the currencies, any left over money would be used for Deeni purposes.