|All praise is for Allah and peace and blessings be upon the Prophet Muhammad (sallallahu alaihi wasallam).
After Allah and His Messenger, the most beloved and respected person to any Muslim should be his Mother.
Allah has given the mother such status that Rasulullah (sallallahu alaihi wasallam) says:
“Paradise lies under the feet of mothers.”
Your mother is not a Prophet, nor is she an angel. She is just a human being like you. So why has Allah ordered you to be obedient towards your mother, and why does your mother have such a high status in Islam?
Allah loves and cares for us more than anybody else, and He especially loves those people who love and care for others. Similarly, Allah’s Wrath fall upon those people who hurt other people in any way? Allah the All-Knowing knows that in this world nobody is more loving and caring towards another person than the way that a mother is towards her child. Only Allah and Rasulullah (sallallahu alaihi wasallam) love you more than your mother!
Only Allah knows what your mother does for you. Allah sees your mother feeling pain whilst she tries to give you whatever you want. Allah sees your mother’s love and kindness. Pleased by your mother’s actions, Allah has given her a very high status and many virtues and rewards. Allah also sees that many of us are not thankful to our mothers. Allah sees many of us being disobedient towards our mothers.
Therefore, Allah has ordered us to be good towards our mothers. Allah has not advised us; but Allah has ordered us! We have no choice; therefore we have to be good towards our mothers.
To encourage us to do this, Allah has promised Paradise for those of us who are obedient towards our mothers.
At the same time, Allah has threatened to severely punish those of us who do not listen to our mothers, or hurt them in any way.
But what does your mother do for you?
She only cooks and cleans?
What – just that???
So why do you need to be thankful to your Mother?
Apart from Allah, nobody knows what our mother really does for us.
1. Your mother carried you in her womb for nine months bearing pain upon pain.
2. During this time, she could not eat nor sleep – because of you.
3. When you were a baby, and then a child, she spent every minute of her life looking after you.
4. She only slept when you slept. She only ate after you had eaten.
5. She was patient and loved you even when you cried all night; when you cried all day.
6. She taught you how to walk; how to speak; how to eat; how to live.
7. When you fall ill, she looks after you.
These are just a few things that our mothers do for us. They do so much more; more things we do not know about. And one thing that your Mother does for you, that nobody else in the world does, is that she worries about you from the bottom of her heart.
2. She worries about your clothes.
3. She worries about your health.
4. She worries about your education.
5. She worries about your future.
6. She worries about your whole life.
“Rabbir-Hamhuma Kama Rabbayani Sagheerah.”
The Prophet Muhammad (sallallahu alaihi wasallam) has also ordered us to be good to our mothers. The Prophet (sallallahu alaihi wasallam) has told us about the great rewards for that person who is good to his mother. He (sallallahu alaihi wasallam) has described the mother as being a ‘Door of Paradise’.
1. Listen to your mother.
2. Help your mother.
3. Smile at your mother.
4. Be thankful to your mother for whatever she does for you.
5. Spend time with your mother.
6. Always ask your mother if you can help her with anything.
7. Buy your mother gifts.
8. Be good to your mother’s family and friends.
9. Lead a good and exemplary life so that your mother is happy.
10. Always make du’a for your mother, especially after every Salat.
However hard we try, we can never repay our mothers for what they have done for us; but we can at least do as much as we can, and also ask Allah to repay them for us. Our mothers are indeed a great blessing from Allah. We should greatly appreciate and value this blessing.
Whilst our mothers are alive, we have a golden opportunity to guarantee ourselves Paradise and also success in this world. We will only truly realize the value and status of our mothers when they are no longer with us.